Crystal Springs is a nice course. I've race it a couple times, and it's
tough (first time I raced it I got stung in the head by a bee during
warmups--that's a tough course). To my mind, the BEST cross country course
I've ever run is located a little further North, at Lake Lagunitas in the
shadow of Marin County's Mt. Tamalpais. Unfortunately, it's a high school
course that was only used a few years, back in the mid-70s, and then
abandoned, because the local water municipality had concerns about the
parking situation. A killer hill, three creek crossings (at our sectional
championships the water splashed up to your chest on two of the crossings),
beautiful tree-lined trails, padded with leaves. Most of the course run
around the lake. A memorable course, for those fortunate enough to have
raced it. (NorCal prep standouts Rich Kimball, Roy Kissin, Dan Aldridge, Hal
Schulz, Rod Berry, Linda Broderick, Kathy Costello,  Maggie Keyes and Kate
Keyes all raced there at least once).
-Brian McGuire