In a message dated Wed, 20 Feb 2002  4:03:02 PM Eastern Standard Time, John Sun
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> --
> Found this in a November 14, 2001 Chicago Tribune
> article:......
 The ban eventually was halved when the international federation was compelled not to
levy four-year bans because of right-to-work laws.>

Just because "compelled" is such a loaded word, let me clarify that nobody told the
IAAF (or had the authority to do so) that the bans should go from 4 years to 2. A
measure to change the ban was voted down at the '95 IAAF Congress, then passed by a
112-56 vote in '97 after what T&FN called "an impassioned debate."

The U.S voted in favor of the reduction on both occasions.

IAAF Council member Amadeo Francis of Puerto Rico said at the time, "I had to leave
the room after the vote becuase I wanted to vomit. THis is going to make it cheaper to
cheat. Four years was a really significant punishment. Some athletes canbe injured for
two years. It is a slap on the wrist."

Note also that had the IAAF not granted a special waiver for the '96 OT that everyone
who competed against Johnson (who was a DNF) could/would have been banned under the
"contimination" rule.

gh