<< the usage of EPO (and I assume other drugs similar to it) are NOT
simple to use effectively (without dying) by any means. >>

Actually not.

In pro cycling, the riders bring mobile blood testing equipment with them
when they travel, and not unlike a diabetic monitors their blood sugar, the
riders can monitor their hematocrit THEMSELVES on a daily or even hourly
basis.

There are not "numerous life threatening side effects" to the use of EPO, as
any dialysis or chemotherapy patient will tell you.  The only immediate
"side effect" is not a side effect, but the primary effect, that is
increasing the RBC count.

It's simple:  45% hematocrit - good for riding, 50% crit - even better for
riding, 60% - BEST - as long as you don't get caught.  There are several
documented cases of riders with hematocrits OVER 55% during stage races, so
60% will not kill you.

Making sure that you don't "spike" your hematocrit through too much/too
frequent dosing is not tricky, and making sure your hydration stays at a
level high enough to prevent what you describe isn't hard either.  Athletes
can accomplish this without seeing the doctor every week.

How long has it been since an elite athlete died?  Last Fall, (I believe it
was) a Spanish marathoner who was older than 35, and was formerly close to
World Class, died from heart problems that smelled like blood doping
complications.  But it has been a long time since their were enough deaths
to say that this is difficult to accomplish.

I have read about long-term problems with EPO creating too much spent-RBC's
that deposit huge amounts of iron into the blood, but I don't know exactly
how it harms you.  The article said that it would cause and promote
pancreatic cancer and one other kind of cancer (I don't remember).  The
article tested French pro-cyclists blood for iron that wasn't attached to
hemoglobin, and found levels that were 5-20 X the expected amount.  They
concluded that we probably would not know the effects of long-term use of
EPO (at the dosage that athletes use it) for another 10 years.  That is when
they expected cancers to show up.

/Brian McEwen

P.S.  I wish it was much harder for athletes to self-administer drugs, but
it isn't hard.  Think of how much recreational drug abuse occurs with much
more deadly (and volatile) drugs, and how long the drug use occurs (10-20-30
years).  Some of those people die, but not many, and they don't have any
kind of doctor looking after them to make sure they live.