> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 19:57:36 -0500 (CDT)
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: t-and-f: long jump with a flip
>
> Someone who knows far more about track than I do wrote:
>
>> I seem to recall that long jump with a flip looked like a mechanical
>> improvement before it was banned.
>
> That must have been a truly revolutionary technique.  Who was doing it, and
> when, and how far?  >

A quick history, just off the top of my head: Idaho State coach Dave Nielsen
is pictured in the pages of T&FN around '73 using the technique. At the '74
Pac-8 meet in the LA Coliseum, John Delamere of Washington State absolutely
blew the crowd away by using the style. As I recall, jumped somehting like
25-4 3/4 wind-aided. In '75 Bruce Jenner used it and added about a foot to
his best, but the IAAF shortly thereafter banned the technique, citing
"safety issues." I think they were premature in so doing.

I think Delamere went on to become a member of the New Zealand parliament.

gh