On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
>> The number of redlinks
>> (undocumented tags) is also somewhat alarming
>
> The majority of redlinks are tags that are composed from a set of
> possible keys and possible values that can be arbitrarily combined.

True, although there are plenty that ought to be documented, like
values of amenity, barrier, highway, historic...

> In both cases, I don't think creating a wiki page for each key-value
> pair would make any sense. Keeping redirects up to date manually
> wouldn't be easy, either. Maybe this could be automated, though.

I think redirects make sense where we're already documenting *some* of
the values.

> I don't think we should care for tags which aren't documented anywhere
> and /aren't really being used/ either, just because the person inventing
> them had write access to a renderer style sheet. Actually, it would be
> nice to have tag usage statistics from tagwatch or osmdoc in the table,
> too - this would quickly tell the reader whether, for example,
> "small_town" has any relevant support by mappers (hint: it hasn't).

Yeah, but it's hard to tell the difference between "new tag that has
been proposed and accepted but not widely used yet" and "tag that was
added at the whim of a rendererer but has no support". Sort of the
essence of this issue!

> I notice that your Map Features parsing has split the "24/7" value for
> opening_hours. I'm not sure whether similar cases occur elsewhere, too.

Ah, yes. My regex is overly restrictive: [[a-zA-Z_-]]+.

Steve