2010/4/6 John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>

> On 6 April 2010 08:52, Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> > OK - we don't have a word for that - it's just a house, or a farm.
>
> Sure we do... building=[house|farm|yes]

yes, I know that you can tag it like this (I'd recommend additionally), but
for certain kind of maps or evaluation (inhabited places) it is IMHO useful
to have a place-tag for this as well (it can also be several buildings (due
to outbuildings, garages, ...) that together form 1 place with 1-2
households. That's  what we call single_settlement and it's a
legal/geographic term for this form of settlement (besides hamlet, village).

OK, finally I got the term: "isolated_dwelling". Found it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_Hierarchy

cheers,
Martin