On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 3:30 AM, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> cycleway=shoulder
> (There is no bike lane, but a rideable shoulder).
>
> Sure, we could debate the shoulder thing forever, but "cycleway=shoulder" is
> easy, and covers 90% of the reasons for mapping it: so cyclists can
> distinguish between roads that have rideable shoulders and those that don't.

I'm not sure this is a good idea. cycleway=* should be for something
designated for cyclists. But cyclists aren't required to use the
shoulder (except on some freeways), so cycleway=shoulder is
misleading. (They also aren't required to use bike lanes in many
states, but those are specially designated for bikes, unlike
shoulders.) To me cycleway=shoulder would mean that there are signs or
pavement markings marking the shoulder as a bike lane.

On the other hand, shoulder=yes means nothing for cyclists; it may
have rumble strips and thus be unusable. Perhaps shoulder=smooth vs.
shoulder=rumble_strips? Or shoulder=yes
cycle_hazard=shoulder_rumble_strips?

Shoulders are actually more important to pedestrians than cyclists. A
good cyclist won't care if there's a shoulder, but a good pedestrian
must walk against traffic and be prepared to get out of the way if
walking in the travel lane. So if anything they should be
footway=shoulder.