On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Peteris Krisjanis <pec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact it can be called also a living zone. Mostly it is European
> thing, according to wiki.

There are not as many in US but they exist. I am aware of a pair of
ways in NYC's old Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn neighborhood that are not
yet tagged as such in Tiger Import but probably would qualify.

# highway: residential
# name: Lafayette Walk
# tiger:cfcc: A41
# tiger:county: Kings, NY

# highway: residential
# name: Hamilton Walk

Houses' front doors are on the named pedestrian way / garden walk that
opens off 94th St. Rear doors are on one of three service alleys. Only
for the SE side of Lafayette is the alley usable as mews (car
parking), although the others appear wide enough for narrowest of
delivery. Residents otherwise have on-street parking on 94th St or
sensibly avail themselves of public, bicycle and ambulatory transit.

(I haven't been there so do not claim authority for retagging -- I
used Google Earth for researching uncle's uncle who lived there from
before the 1930 census until reactivated for WW2. )

Wasn't Reston VA to be built along such lines ?

--
Bill
n1...@arrl.net bill.n1...@gmail.com