Am 16.09.2010 23:11, schrieb André Riedel:
2010/9/16 Ulf Lamping<ulf.lamp...@googlemail.com>:
Well, Sixt will very rarely sell you a car, but a ski rental station very
often will also sell you ski if you like.

I'm not saying that the rental tag is generally a bad idea (I've recently
added this to JOSM presets to indicate rental services for shop=motorcycle).

What I'm saying is that there are places that will exclusively rent you
something, and other places that will rent you something but also sell it to
you, repair your own stuff and alike.

You can use rental and shop at the same time.

So there are situations like amenity=car_rental where a standalone tag makes
perfect sense, while in other situations the rental is only a minor part of
the business. Putting this somehow all under a rental tag still seems a bad
idea to me.

Probably we should use rental=yes or shop=yes if it is only a minor part.

Selling cars and sometimes letting of cars:
shop=car
rental=yes

selling only few ski equipments and rental is the main business:
rental=ski
shop=yes

Very certainly we should keep amenity=car_rental and not switch to rental=car just for the sake of "tag cleanliness" in completely unrelated scenarios - and BTW loosing lot's of clarity of the tag usage already in wide use.

Replacing current tag usage with something a lot more ambitiuous without a real gain is, well, ...

Regards, ULFL