On 7 November 2010 17:09, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/11/7 Tom Chance <t...@acrewoods.net>:
> > In general I like this proposal, but given that this changes a
> substantial
> > number of very well used tags that go back to almost the beginning of the
> > project it is essential to describe how existing data will be migrated
> > across, tools updated, mappers notified, etc.
> some
>
> IMHO we could simply start using it. Tools will get amended
> "automatically", as soon as a substancial number of items is tagged
> with it.

As somebody who makes substantial use of the data, I would really prefer to
see a proactive effort to update existing nodes/ways. OSM data becomes quite
useless when you get tagging this mixed. Since this wouldn't be a
destructive edit - you just, for example, add culture=museum to a feature
already tagged with tourism=museum - I don't have a problem with a bot or
efforts to mass-update certain cities. I'd certainly do the whole of London
in the absence of a bot.

 > The other job, similar to the shop key, will be to elaborate a longer
list

> > of values and to clearly disambiguate between them. For example, how does
> > one draw the line between art_gallery / museum
>
> Yes, I committed a mistake here, was in a hurry, it better should be
> museum:genre=art_gallery actually.  This is the way it is done in
> theatre and it works well.

We have to find some resolution to this! I completely disagree and think it
may be a linguistic difference - nobody in the British art world would find
your solution appropriate :-)

> , between nightclub /
> > music_venue,
>
> are they relevant here?

Well one is an accepted amenity but is arguably better placed in culture
(nightclub), the other is another long-dormant proposal that is also a
cultural venue. So yes, they're relevant.

> between historical monuments/memorials and art_works, etc.
>
> there doesn't have to be any distinction: if it is a memorial, tag it
> historic=memorial, if it qualifies at the same time for artwork, tag
> it with culture=artwork as well.

That is true, we will also need to describe for the avoidance of doubt when
it is appropriate to mark a memorial as an art work and vice versa.

Regards,
Tom