On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 19:18:33 +0000
Tom Chance <t...@acrewoods.net> wrote:

> > don't know. It seems that the british art world is not very active
> > on wikipedia then, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_gallery
> > redirects to art_museum ;-)
> >

> Ah, Wikipedia, that well known internationally agreed source of
> definitions for words ;-) I forgot that we need to slavishly follow
> anything we spot in Wikipedia or that other well-worn blind alley
> one's online dictionary of choice.
One can edit Wikipedia if it doesn't suit - I've seen that used to
"solve" an argument on osm already.

> As I wrote on the wiki, we have separate amenity values for bar, pub
> and nightclub instead of amenity=drinking_establishment; we have shop
> values for butcher, baker and grocer instead of a generic shop=food
> followed by a sub-tag to define the type of food. There is no rule
> that says, because art galleries are often considered a sort of
> museum, we must relegate "art gallery" to a sub-type of
> culture=museum.

I don't have a problem with permanent art exhibitions being labelled as
a type of museum. Indeed many museums concentrate on cultural
artifacts. I'm thinking of one in Athens full of cultural artifacts
from the height of the Athenian city state. We call it a museum, but it
is an art gallery devoted to a particular time period, so the logic of
the two terms overlaps considerably.

an art gallery in English does not clearly distinguish between the
shop where art is sold and the permanent exhibition.