http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/thebusway/howitworks/

On 15/11/2010 17:16, Richard Mann wrote:
I know nothing about busways (other than that they're a ridiculous
waste of money, but that's another story!)

RIchard

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM, David Earl<da...@frankieandshadow.com>  wrote:
The Cambridgeshire busway is tagged highway=bus_guideway (actuaklly it is
currently tagged highway=construction, construction=bus_guideway because it
is delayed).

We had a long discussion about this at the time.

This busway is somewhat different from what's been described below because
it is a very special kind of road, which has some aspects ion common with a
railway (it has a track and has specially adapted buses running on it; but
is it signalled as signed as a road). There are other examples in Essen
Germany and Auckland New Zealand I believe.

It certainly isn't just a service road to which buses have access. Those
(short) sections (of the Cambridgeshire busway) without the trackbed I think
are not service either, they are unclassified roads to which buses only have
access - they aren't like a service road in an industrial estate or car
park.

David