On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 00:02 -0700, Sam Vekemans wrote:

> The Wiki has
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dseafood
> "A shop selling fish/seafood."
> Alternative names during the discussion on the tagging mailinglist
> were:
>
>       * shop=fish - To be easily confused with pet shops selling pet
>         fish or fast_food shops selling prepared fish

The wiki covers these issues under 'similar tags', suggesting the use of
restaurant/fast-food and shop=pet for the above examples.

>       * shop=fishmonger - Being understood by communities where the
>         English is close to british English, north american and
>         non-native speakers had problems understanding or found it to
>         sound outdated.

The 3rd paragraph states "This type of shop is known as a
'fishmonger' ... But the shop=seafood tag will encompass regional
variations.

> "Seafood" seems to be the term that is best understood (by the users
> of the mailing list) to be a shop according to the definition of this
> proposal.

I agree.  I think seafood is a more generic proposal than 'fishmonger'
which may not be understood as widely.

> and also, 'fishmonger' does not have it's own wiki page.
> Therefore, my recommendation is that Potlatch2 be changed to show
> 'seafood' instead.

If youre going to go that far, why not propose changing shop=fishmonger
tagged items to shop=seafood also?  I think having an almost equal
number of both (342 seafood, 233 fishmonger) makes it harder for people
looking for an existing tagging scheme to follow.  If we define the
tagging scheme more closely, I think we should also bring in-to-line
those elements which used the deprecated tag.

David