On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 8:55 PM, <osm.tagg...@thorsten.engler.id.au> wrote:

> I've been thinking a bit more about tagging ways. In my case, I mostly have
> ways along the physical location of the kerb as I use them as the border of
> landuse areas, but should it also be allowed to tag them on highway=* ways?
>
> The assumption would be that if a way has both the highway and the kerb tag
> that the way does not represent the physical location of the kerb, but the
> kerb is at the outer edge (exact location given implicitly by the width tag
> on the highway, undetermined if not present) of the highway.
>
> In this case, kerb:left=* and kerb:right=* should be allowed if the kerb is
> different on the 2 sides of the highway.

I'm having trouble understanding what the value of this would be, and it
would make things confusing, to have the meaning of a key be contingent on
the value of another. I think the kerb=* tag has value because it assists
with routing, in determining what ways are foot/bike/wheelchair accessible.
I see no problem in marking the actual physical location of kerbs with ways
though, because it is a very good representation of the real world.

However, if someone really wants to tag a highway=* to indicate a kerb is on
the outer edge, it's better to not use the kerb=* key but rather
kerb:left/kerb:right/kerb:both, so there is no confusion.

-Josh