On 8/31/2011 8:35 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:

I thought the issue was that there are two distinct concepts:

   boundaries, where there is some legal distinction and a precise edge

   place names, which have more or less indistinct boundaries.

In my area, towns have boundaries, and there are village centers that
have names like "West Acton" which have as far as I know no actual
boundaries and no legal standing.

There's a third possibility - the unincorporated suburb or exurb that nevertheless has a defined boundary, since it's planned or controlled by one company. I think Columbia, Maryland is this way; closer to me is The Villages, a huge retirement community that is its own Micropolitan Statistical Area (and where our governor goes when he needs tea bags).

In New England, don't you have the concept of a 'thickly settled' area where lower speed limits apply? Could this be used to form boundaries of village centers?