Am 18.10.2011 13:17, schrieb Ilya Zverev:
bkmap:
When we already have numbers for the track positions, why we do not
use them thus? So the data consumer knows the location without the
lanes:location tag.
lanes=4
lanes:turnleft=3;4
lanes:merge=1
lanes:through=2;3

I considered this notation, but it has many drawbacks, the major one
being the difference in meaning of values of similar-named tags: lanes,
lanes:psv and lanes:hgv contain number of lanes, and other lanes:*
therefore also should.
It is not too late to change this. We must change about 11+2+7=20 tags worldwide if we consider to modify the notation of the lanes:*:tag.
362     lanes:psv=1
11      lanes:psv=2
4       lanes:psv=backward
2       lanes:psv=3
75      lanes:bus=1
7       lanes:bus=2
38      lanes:hgv=share_psv_lane
5       lanes:hgv=1

And yes, I also considered using this notation
for lanes:*:location - but it is very error-prone, depending on users to
calculate lane numbers, and "left/right" wouldn't fit in it.
Using verbal values like left and right (except turn...) is IMO more fault-prone than defined lane numbers. We need anyway suitable editor tools for lanes.

I know that we need a pattern for lanes. I like this beginning first also well. But I have, taken as a whole, no good feeling with this proposal.
It leaves open too many issues which could appear later:
How to tag the lane width, different surfaces and restrictions like forbidden lane change? How the data consumer knows, how the lanes of the road segments are connected together? And so on...

cheers,
Burkhard