At 2012-04-19 04:38, Martin Vonwald wrote:
* PSV lanes SHOULD be included (also [2]). Example: lanes=3 and
lanes:psv=1 means we have three lanes and one OF THEM is for PSV only.

Same goes for HOV (high-occupancy-vehicles) lanes, unless they are separately mapped (which is a better solution for routing, given their controlled access).

* Turn lanes SHOULD be included (see [2] and [5]).
* The lane count should change, as soon as a) new lane has reached its
full width or b) a lane starts to disappear (usually a merge with
another lane) (also [5]).

Technically, yes, but it doesn't seem practical in developed areas in the US, which typically change lane configurations at every major intersection and then change back again. A typical secondary artery might be 2 lanes in each direction with a raised center island, expanding to 2 lanes in one direction and, in the other direction, a left-turn "pocket" (in place of the center island), 2 straight-ahead lanes, and a right-turn "pocket" (in place of some land or sidewalk on the right side). While these additional lanes can be added individually or the way broken to tag them, I just don't see people doing this. It seems like routers could just as easily assume these types of configuration between various road classes, unless told otherwise. I would tag such a road as lanes=4 (lanes=5 if the center island is, instead, a center turn lane).

  - Two-way roads with a specified lane count, but without a specified
lanes:forward OR lanes:backward and a lane count, that is divisible by
two, are assumed to have half of the lanes in each direction, e.g.
lanes=4 means two lanes in each direction if not specified otherwise.
I will add a recommendation for this situation, to add explicit
values.

If an odd number, assume a center turn lane (e.g. lanes=5 means 2 forward, 2 backward, 1 center).

+1 to the rest.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>