On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Ronnie Soak
<chaoschaos0...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> It may be harder to estimate a width in meters instead of a lanes count, but
> I think it's possible within +/- 1m, especially for narrow ways.
> (I personally only use it with either rather narrow or rather wide ways out
> of the norm.)

Okay. Then we tag the "objective" width instead of imprecise amount of lanes !
But one question : the doc ([1]) does not specify what is counted in
the width: shoulders, sidewalks, bicycle lanes, parking lanes, psv
lanes ? And what is width if the way contains a "cycleway=track" ? And
since almost nobody reads the doc, the tag "width" will have as much
(mis)interpretations as the tag "lanes" does...

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:width

Pieren