On Fri, 27 Apr 2012, Andrew Errington wrote:

> A lane count of 1.5 is very confusing.  What does it mean?  What is the width
> of each lane?  Is it really 1.5?  Should it be 1.55, or 1.4, or 1.6?

...No, it's not multiple of some magical "default lane width" like you
imply. But simply _something_ between "normal" lanes=1 and "normal"
lanes=2.

> It's more useful to tell me width of the road.  Then, if there is one
> lane I can see maybe it's very wide, or if two lanes I can see maybe
> they are very narrow.

...But how can I tag you this: A road which is lanes=1+wide _AND_
lanes=2+narrow at the same time? ...You ask me to provide width and select
one of those two, and that is what I oppose, unless you give me some real
tag that is not width to tell that 'hey, there really isn't lanes marked
(which makes it kind of lanes=1) but two can somewhat fit (which makes
it kind of lanes=2 but not really because it's only "somewhat")'!

...What I would not want to do is to tag those lanes=1 because that's
certainly a lie as anyone can clearly see after observing some
bidirectional traffic there.

> In summary, I think simpler is better.  A non-integer lane count is useless.
> Use the width tag.

I oppose using width tag (at least alone) for this because it won't
convey the double meaning. Some other tag than width and tagging with
lanes=2 perhaps (like I already suggested much earlier)?

--
 i.