2012/5/22 Janko Mihelić <jan...@gmail.com>:
> 2012/5/22 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
>> -1, this has been discussed ad infinitum on the German list.
> I'm sure this was already suggested, but I would like to know: what if the
> sidewalk had the same name as the street, would that be enough? If the
> router saw two highways with the same name, it would choose footway or path
> instead of highway, if possible.

You still wouldn't know if you could change from the footway/path to
the street or not. Maybe there's some kind of barrier in between them.
If you map them separately you simply lose the information what
(cycleway, sidewalk, whatever) belongs together.

And before some suggests it: no, I don't think a relation is a
manageable solution in this case ;-)