On Tue, 2012-07-03 at 15:40 -0400, Anthony wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2012 8:57 AM, "Martin Koppenhoefer" <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > 2012/7/3 Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk>:
> > > In France, a solid line means do not cross. It is more than do not
> overtake.
> >

> > +1, I guess it's the same everywhere.
>
> In Florida, and probably all of the USA, double solid yellow means do
> not cross TO PASS. You are allowed to cross to turn, such as to make a
> uturn.
>
> To indicate do no cross you need a yellow median island.
Not in France, there a solid line means do no cross, hence there is a
broken line on Autoroutes between the carriageway and hard shoulder. If
the line was solid it would prohibit anyone going onto the hard
shoulder. In the UK this line is solid.

However my point about U-turns around such islands is that there usually
just isn't the road width to do a U-turn,

It is no more a sensible maneuver than doing a U-turn where a dual
carriageway becomes a 2 lane road, such as this
http://map.project-osrm.org/NX

and the streetview version http://goo.gl/maps/7c48

Whilst not prohibited, an accident whilst doing this is likely to get
you the standard catch all of "driving without due care and attention"
and no doubt generate more 'Satnav causes accident' type headlines.

Phil