What about this:
Let's have fully qualified hierarchical names, something like
landcover=vegetation:herbaceous:grass, landcover=herbaceous:herbs or
landcover=vegetation:trees:coniferous
That woudld allow precise specification as well as "something green
grows there".
Mappers would understandably not be willing to do it all, therefore
any generic qualifications could be omited if the rest is unambiguous.
Renderers would be able to easily render all vegetation green (not
caring what details come after).
Common values like trees or grass would likely (usually) be used
without generic qualifiers (would not work on renderers rendering
vegetation:doNotCare only).
The main advantage is that any detail can be mapped without
introducing too many keys of requiring too much detail to be provided.