Have just spotted this changeset whilst looking through changes near me?

Why has Ford been depreciated? It is the correct definition, and the
word used on road signs.

A google search revealed this wiki page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:ford

This discussion that did go on seems to me disjointed, and is confused
with stepping stones. Surely if these exist they are a separate node,
they are usually part of a footway, alongside the road which fords the
stream, there is also often a footbridge alongside the ford.

I cannot think of a better tag. Tagging with water=yes just seems like
we dumbing down.

Everyone should know what a ford is, and obviously the depth or if there
is water will depend on the recent weather.

The decision was made by what appears to have been made by a vote by 5
people.

Why has it not been discussed in this mailing list where it will be seen
by someone who is not searching the wiki for Fords today.

Phil