Although I don't know the history of the access tag, I would expect that
"designated" and "permissive" might have something to do with Public Rights
of Way in the UK:

* If a path is designated as a "Public Footpath" then you have a legal
right to walk on it and there is a legal structure protecting these and
dictating how the local government should keep a record of them.

* The public has a right to request a path be added to the list of "Public
Footpaths" if they can prove prior use (pre some date I can't remember). To
prevent this happening a landowner can optionally decide to make a
"Permissive Footpath". Again this has some legal consequences but to the
landowner it may be more appealing to have a permissive path over his land
rather than risk someone challenging him on the grounds that the path be
added as a "Public Footpath".

* Having said all this the UK guidelines are now to use
"designation=public_footpath" and no need for an 'access' tag. For
permissive paths I have seen both "foot=permissive" and
"designation=permissive_footpath"

Regards,
Rob

p.s. If it helps, I don't understand the access tag either!!