What I'm doing right now is tag the roads inside this zone with

maxspeed=50 and
source:maxspeed=city_limit.

This doesn't fit entirely, as it doesn't only influence maxspeed. Maybe
adding a tag city_limit=yes would be more appropriate?

Besides there is a conflict when inside those city limits there is a
zone30. I'm tagging those with

maxspeed=30 and
source:maxspeed=zone30.

The zone30 also has some extra consequences, besides maxspeed though. Would
it be more correct to use zone30=yes? We also have zone50 and zone70.

I have been tagging the location of city_limit signs for several years now,
but since we didn't have a tag for it, I simply used note=city limit or
bebouwde kom (nl). I hope a proper way of tagging them will come from this
discussion.

Polyglot