2013/2/27 Janko Mihelić <jan...@gmail.com>:
> 2013/2/27 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
>> What is the relation between wikidata and wikipedia? Couldn't one get
>> the wikidata-reference code by looking up the wikipedia article name?
>> In this case it would be an unnecessary duplication of information to
>> also have a wikidata tag.
> But the wikipedia tag gives you only one language article. Now, if you go on
> a wikipedia article and open that little map, it shows the polygon or node
> taken from Openstreetmap. But it only works for the language that is in the
> wikipedia tag.

no, that's not true, there is for example the open link map which
gives you the article in your language, that's the whole point of it.
One language is enough to get all the others (in the general case,
there are a few exceptions).

> Sure that could be solved by some algorithms, but this is a
> simpler, nicer solution.

-1, for humans it is much simpler to add and to verify understandable
information, here I agree with Pieren, better use "de:McDonald's" than
"Q38076", if both are unambiguously associable to the same unique
resource.

> Then we can use franchise:wikidata=*

there is also brand to take into consideration. Still, why wikidata if
you can use wikipedia?

cheers,
Martin