> 2013/2/27 Svavar Kjarrval <sva...@kjarrval.is>:
>> It works until the article name is changed in that particular language,
>> then it won't work for any language until it's fixed, if ever. Of course
>> one could argue it's very unlikely in the case of a famous franchise but
>> what about less famous places that have a Wikipedia entry?
>
> Wikidata seems to be a reference to article names, so it will fail
> just the same in the case the articles get restructured (what happens
> continuously). Take the McDonald's Corp. vs. "McDonald's Deutschland
> inc." example: currently there is only one WP article (the one about
> McDonald's in German language) that speaks about "McDonald's
> Deutschland inc.". So how would you tag this? All of them might be
> brand=McDonald's (whether they are operated by the German company or
> the American one or are a franchise operated by another company (the
> latter is the most usual case). The actual operator would be either a
> third party or one of the McDonald's companies, you can tag this to
> operator (even if it is also of very few interest to most users).
That's why the original poster later suggested franchise:wikidata
instead of operator:wikidata.

Let's say I create a Wikipedia referral to ACME corp. using
wikipedia=is:ACME_corp and that article is used to derive the article
name in the English Wikipedia and perhaps tens more languages. If the
name of the article in the Icelandic Wikipedia site is later changed,
Wikipedia articles in the other languages can't be derived by the
Icelandic Wikipedia one, since there isn't one by that name in the
Icelandic Wikipedia, therefore the Wikipedia connection is lost for all
languages. A Wikidata connection would be independant of languages in
that regard so this problem is far less likely to happen.

> Now: if it were McDonald's Deutschland to operate the place, would you
> then add the wikidata-tag of McDonald's to it, because the only
> article that apparently speaks about McDonald's Deutschland inc. is
> the article linked from there? It won't help anyway (to distinguish
> between the American and the German McD), and as soon as a "McDonald's
> Deutschland inc." articles gets created it would also be somehow
> "wrong".
This is where the operator:wikidata tag would be useful in conjunction
with the franchise:wikidata tag.

> The problem is that wikipedia is not a database about companies, it is
> an encyclopedia where it doesn't necessarily make sense to have a
> distinct article for every business, and this doesn't seem to be
> overridden by the wikidata concept (as it looks now).
I agree. This would be something the data consumer would have to derive.