To me, wikipedia captures well the English usage of "bakery":

A *bakery* (or *baker's shop*) is an
establishment<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Establishment> which
produces and sells flour <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour>-based food
baked <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baking> in an
oven<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oven> such
as bread <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread>,
cakes<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cake>
, pastries <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastries>, and
pies<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pies>
.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakery
There are not the distinct types as there seem to be in German.  What about
adding an optional bread=yes/no, pastry=yes/no etc to shop=bakery?  That
allows the differentiation in German without distorting the common meaning
of the English word.

Brad