2013/7/10 alyssa wright <alyssapwri...@gmail.com>:
> It is my understanding that kindergarten means something very different in
> other places of the world. How does OSM account for such cultural
> differences? Perhaps the childcare proposal should not try to replace
> kindergarten, but instead try to disassociate childcare from the kindergarten
> umbrella?

yes, it is mostly agreed that the current tagging scheme for
childcare, nursery, kindergartens, day cares and other places where
babies, small children, critters, infants etc. are looked after/cared
for is insufficient for detailed tagging. This was even used in a talk
at an university (I guess gender studies) as an example to demonstrate
that OSM was mostly a bunch of ... males.

> But I am not sure I know enough about tags to propose something appropriate.

actually it is not so important to know about tags, you should know
about the topic (childcare). Problem is that it seems that there are
huge cultural and legal differences, so IMHO who wants to address this
should first try to make a classification: what is the service
offered, how can the instances be grouped. At this point, people from
different cultural backgrounds should already be involved in order to
make this as universally applicable as possible to similar
institutions around the globe. E.g. set up a childcare 3.0 page and
start brainstorming / writing down definitions for the different
classes.

There were intense discussions about this field also on the German ML
not so long ago, so I am sure you will find other mappers interested
and willing to contribute.

cheers,
Martin