On 06.08.2013 15:51, Yuri D'Elia wrote:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/45.2466/6.0866

which has been tagged with a multipoligon relation.
Unfortunately, the relation has some problems:

- not rendered anywhere?

This is a super-relation, with other relations as members. This is not allowed for multipolygon relations. It should rather be a type=collection relation. This is how water areas such as riverbanks use to be joined, and I use collection relations for sets of rocks etc. too. Don't expect dumb renderers like Mapnik to render superrelations, though.

It seems to me that the closest tagging scheme might be a loose area
with place=locality. Would that be a good idea?

That depends on what the name belongs to. If it's the name of a lake, forest, or other "physical" feature, place=* would be just wrong.

I saw several proposed tags in the wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Region
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Valley

but not really an official tagging scheme. Valley names are very
important features for a topographic map.

These proposals are somewhat obsolete, as natural=* has widely been accepted as the key for all geomorphological features. See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:natural, group 3. A valley is just the complement of a ridge or arete. Just draw a line along the valley and tag it with natural=valley.

Similarly, we have areas for entire mountain groups, which are
fundamental for a topographic map in the alps. Again, the boundaries of
such areas are not so important, but it's mostly used as an indication
for the name placement.

natural=mountain_range is already in use for the Alps. The mountain groups within the Eastern Alps are tagged place=region, see the members of relation 2113486.