* Friedrich Volkmann <b...@volki.at> [2013-08-09 07:28 +0200]:
> I also dislike the suggested special member roles: The positioning
> of the label depends on the font size, the free space, the map
> section and zoom level etc. and should therefore be determined by
> the renderer.

I tend to think of label nodes as hints for the renderer that provide it
with information it cannot derive on its own.  The canonical example, I
think, is a town where it makes sense to place the label over the "town
center", which residents of the place can usually identify easily, but
which may not necessarily match the geometric center (or centroid) of the
town's border.