On 2013-08-19 15:37, Tod Fitch wrote :
On Aug 19, 2013, at 6:24 AM, Craig Wallace wrote:
Sounds like you mean the "shoulder". See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shoulder It should usually be tagged as an attribute on the highway, not mapped as a separate way or area. Craig
+1 Except that I think in the UK they might call it the verge so we might have a dialect issue.
Thanks for all the answers and the terminology issue (the French word verge is certainly not a shoulder ;-))
Unfortunately, as we can see it here,   and even better here  (kudos the renderers), it is an area, rather wide, and has to be tagged as an area if we want the limits of private properties to be correct.
An issue is that routing software must find its way between the driveways and the road. I skip the details of the problem I solved by connecting the driveways to the road, which they don't, and I'm currently in the process of testing the parking.
So, the basic problem is that the parking is unwanted and with what to replace it.