On 2013-08-21 11:31, Pieren wrote :
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM, André Pirard
>
>     As there seems to be no tagging specific to the part of the public
>     highway which is an area extending from its line (way) to the
>     private properties, I made it an area with the same tagging as the
>     road, except for what makes no sense as the speed limit.
>     Fingers crossed for the routing.
>
>       * highway
>         <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Key:highway?uselang=fr>
>         = secondary
>         <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=secondary?uselang=fr>
>       * area <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:area?uselang=fr>
>         = yes
>       * access
>         <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access?uselang=fr> =
>         permissive
>       * name
>         <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Key:name?uselang=fr> = ...
>       * surface
>         <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Key:surface?uselang=fr>
>         = gravel
>       * zone:traffic = be:urban
>

> Incorrect. I've checked your example and it is surely not a highway
> secondary + area=yes.
>
> First, "area=yes" implies that vehicules can move in all directions.
> Here you place is just large as one car is long.
> Then the "highway=secondary" is not appropriate since the area is
> clearly not intended for the secondary road network. You could
> possibly set as "unclassified" or "residential" if we follow your idea.
> But more important, this area is not for cars but clearly a sidewalk
> with a kerb ([1]). This is firstly an area for pedestrians that the
> neightbours have to cross with their cars from their private garages.
> Access is not restricted for pedestrians. So you shall primarily map
> this area as a sidewalk or pedestrian area and optionally map the
> access to private houses crossing this area. E.g.:
>
> highway=footway (or pedestrian) (I don't know the current trend for
> sidewalks areas)
> + area=yes
> for the polygon
>
> and the private alleys have to be extended to join the main road and
> simply cross the pedestrian area.
> Don't forget that you are here micro-mapping at a level of details
> that is not usual in OSM (mapping sidewalks first and especially
> mapping sidewalks as area).
Thanks for a constructive comment and for looking at photographs and
mentioning them.
Yes, as Google street photos hint, this area is definitely mainly
*suitable* for cars to use, and used as such, much as you would think of
a rest area. There is no kerb, just a caniveau (gutter) for easy
crossing over, there is a postbox used by passing-by cars, there is a
car sharing stop (not yet on the photos, like a bus stop), cars and
vans, even machinery, frequently stop for various reasons (including
looking at an OSM map ;-)).
On the other hand, but that's incidental, it's certainly not the
recommended side for pedestrians (lack of continuity) for whom the other
side is a real contiguous on purpose sidewalk with a kerb, the
pedestrian place according to the driving code.
I am not micro-mapping at all. Look well, I've just very precisely
mapped houses and some fences and driveways, I suppose that's welcome,
also some accessories like tree, postbox etc. that are believed to be
designed to be used, no excess, and, as I explain specifically in my
just sent message, that leaves in-between space that needs to be described.
In fact, this discussion would not even exist if the area were a Parking.
The question comes down to "how must be tagged an non specific area
where cars are allowed?" (road side or not).

Cheers,

André.