2013/10/17 Pieren <pier...@gmail.com>

> Could someone explain the difference between "tourism=guest_house" and
> "tourism=bed_and_breakfast" ?
> Both are suggested here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dguest_house
> but only "guest_house" is really documented in the wiki.
>
> In taginfo, we find 527 "tourism=bed_and_breakfast" and 32382
> "tourism=guest_house" (accidentally, taginfo says "Guest house and
> Bed&Breakfast for "tourism=guest_house")
>
> I'm asking because in France we do have a diffence when guests are in
> an independent building (gîte [1]), usually for at least a week or a
> week-end, or just special bedrooms (bed&breakfast) as "guests" in
> private homes. So, I'm looking if we could reuse the two existing tags
> or if I should create a sub-tag like "tourism=guest_house" +
> "guest_house=bed_and_breakfast" or
> "guest_house=whatever_in_an_independent_building"

We discussed once on #osm-talk when I asked more or less the same
question...
The distinction between b&b and guest house is related to the law in your
country, generally b&b need to have max x rooms for guests, otherwise they
are guest houses (I try to use guest_house now also when the name is "Bed &
Breakfast Mickey Mouse" but the legal status defines it as guest_house)

> Pieren

Regards,
Stefano