> > If you want to map lanes you should use another tag.
>
> Is there a suggestion for a tag that would be appropriate, or is that a
> thing lost in proposal purgatory?

well, proposals are just that: suggestions. I am not aware of any proposal
dealing with explicitly mapped lanes (i.e. those with their own geometry)
but I have started a proposal that might be able to deal with them a long
time ago:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Area

Problem is the complexity you add when you map things like this, you would
have to maintain 2 ways of mapping at the same time: implicit lanes
(defined by tags on highways) and explicit lanes overlapping the former.
If you do not keep the implicit version working you will get a lot of
problems with other mappers ;-) and this implies you'll have to connect the
highways (carriageways) like we do now, and overlay the lanes as geometry
and tags on top of that, and you'd have to flag the highways that are not
real but abstract versions (simplified connections between highways mapped
in the first model) as such so that the explicit-lanes enabled
dataconsumers will know where to substitute the generalized highways with
explicit lanes.

> I am not representing individual lanes, but choices (aka, the two through
> lanes are a single way).

Maybe you'd be better off with parametric mapping as suggested here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lanes

cheers,
Martin