but I wouldn't add boules=bowls to this list because it seems quite different (e.g. the pitch is grass and not sand or gravel). Instead sport=bowls is perfectly valid and used twice as much as all kinds of boules together.

Sound reasonable to me - I'll leave sport=bowls alone.

Pretty much everyone has agreed that the type=* is being abused and that chaining sport=boules;boules=petanque is cleaner so I'm going to correct the 718 occurrences of sport=boules;type=petanque into sport=boules;boules=petanque.

I might also do it for sport=boules;type=bocce which would become sport=boules;boules=bocce.

There are 1093 occurrences of sport=boules;type=* : http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/3oF