At least in JOSM if you do a ctrl-h on a selected object it shows you the
source entry text that given on the change set (if it exists which it usually
doesn't on older change sets). If the other editors don't show that, then they
should be fixed.

So the argument that it is not feasible for arm chair mappers to know the
source of the data they are modifying if source:whatever=* tags don't exist is
flawed.

My issue with source:whatever=* tags is that you need one for every tag to
avoid confusion about what the source for a specific tag is and it is a manual
entry prone to error. That is automatic when looking at the history. Again in
JOSM, it is very easy to compare versions of an object and find when the tag(s)
were added or modified. Once on the change of interest you have the "Source:
blah,blah" text right there.

-Tod