I do think there's some distinction in the US between kindergarden and day
care (and it's too early to find the wikipedia articles to back this up, my
apologies...) so more generally speaking -- the distinction is that
kindergarden has government certified teachers and probably under stricter
regulation. In some states, including NY I believe - its actually
mandatory, where forms of day care are not.