Hi,

On 07/25/2014 12:33 PM, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> I think that we should define a fixed set of canonical values

Now that would be novel.

> we map all kinds of highways on a
> small fixed set of highway keys

That is true but that small set has been determined through evolution
and has never been defined as fixed by anybody.

It's probably just a words but if someone came up with a new highway
value today then all we could say to him is: You're using a rare value
for this key, and it is possible that the software support will be
limited. We wouldn't say: You are using a WRONG value that is outside
the DEFINED FIXED SET OF CANONICAL VALUES and therefore it is you OWN
FAULT that it isn't rendered.

Likewise, while renderers are of course free to decide what to support
and what not, nobody has the power to define a fixed set of canonical
values for anything.

Bye
Frederik