On 18.08.2014 17:10, Pieren wrote:
> I'm afraid that the main problem here is not the use "location" or
> "layer" or "cave" but "highway=path". This tag was created for
> multiple vehicles ways, not exclusive to a transportation like
> footways or cycleways. Currently the wiki tries to reflect this in the
> "path" definition:
>
> "A route open to the public which is not intended for motor vehicles,
> unless so tagged separately. This includes snowmobile trails, ski
> trails, hiking trails, horse trails, bike trails and paths, mountain
> bike trails as well as combinations of the above and other modes of
> transportation. "
>
> Unfortunatelly, this tag was abusively (impov) reused later for
> climbing routes.

I don't consider that abusive, as there's no clear line between hiking
trails and climbing routes. Many hiking trails in Austria are UIAA grade 2.
There are marked "trails" up to grade 6. For the same reason, I oppose
highway=via_ferrata.

> And now for caving.

When there's a visible trail inside a cave, it's essentially the same as an
outside trail. Therefore, I support highway=path (or footway) in such a case.

But I disadvise the mapping of non-existing paths...

> But none of these activities are
> open to the main public, requires special skills and equipments (incl.
> for survey) and, as already mentionned, needs a better handling of
> elevation data which is not easy in our model. I'm afraid that the
> main reason to not create new "highway" tags was/is to see them
> immediately on the rendered maps...
>
> That's why I would prefer something new like "highway=cave" (or
> whatever you like)

For the cave (structure) itself, we could resurrect natural=cave.