On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 04:22:34PM +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> > Wikipedia does not agree with Martin:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontoon_bridge
> >

> it depends on the language ;-)

language problems are a disaster for us.

Yesterday looked at suspension bridges, apparently in some parts
of the world "suspension" is understood to mean "suspended operation",
abandoned or whatever.

Today noticed that someone tagged a rather unusual single node
object with
 bridge=yes + bridge:moveable=bascule
 https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2301185674

- it appears that in French "Pont Bascule" has this meaning:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pont+Bascule&safe=off&ie=utf-8&hl=en&gws_rd=ssl&tbm=isch

Something like "pontoon bridge" is definitely much better than
"floating bridge" which may have any number of meanings for different
people - google image search is my favorite method to look for
meanings.

Summary, I am strongly in favor of moving pontoon to bridge:structure
and forgetting about "floating" until someone disambiguates it from
pontoon and writes a description for it in 12 languages.

Richard