> Something like "pontoon bridge" is definitely much better than
> "floating bridge" which may have any number of meanings for different
> people - google image search is my favorite method to look for
> meanings.

IMHO "floating bridge" is hardly to be misunderstood when speaking about
bridge types, and also the Google image search seems to confirm that this
is an established term. Where ships might beconsidered "pontoons" when used
as bridge support, or not, doesn't really change the game, it will still be
a floating bridge, and also wikipedia:en confirms this ("pontoon bridge or
floating bridge")

cheers,
Martin