On Sep 23, 2014, at 7:39 PM, Lukas Sommer <sommer...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > As I understand it, the local access roads would be an unclassified road
> > with bollards or a kind of barrier at each end, and with trunk links, (or
> > one way unclassified roads?) that lead onto the actual new trunk road.
>
> There is not much documentation on the wiki. The only thing that I found was
> a statement at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dservice that
> says that highway=service is wrong, but everything else is okay.

highway=service & service=alley sounds really good to me - parallel to the main
road, narrow, and for local access only - at least in this instance (and a ton
of others here)

> I agree that *_link is not good. (Also because you can often use the frontage
> road with smaller/slower cars than the main road.)

Set it to unclassified currently for my example
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=18/36.34904/139.28130 I quickly mapped
out a frontage road along the secondary.

> As frontage roads are quite common in some countries, I think it would be
> useful to create a wiki page with some documentation and a best practice
> guide.

I'm surprised to see so many new large roads here in Japan planned with
extensive (and narrow, dead-ending near intersections) frontage roads. Every
new major road in my area made int he last 2-3 years has them now. they all
look similar to the one linked originally and my example.

+1

> Proposal for the content:
>
> – frontage roads are never highway=*_link nor highway=service
> – frontage roads have usually a lower level than the main road (which one is
> up to the mapper to decide)

if it is not of (severely) lower importance, it isn't a frontage road.

> Example: If the main road is secondary, the frontage road must be one of
> “tertiary” or “unclassified” or “residential”.

Tertiary max, if not unclassified max . I mean, a big road often parallels a
major way, but this is mostly discussing local access being separated from the
faster, adjacent road for traffic management reasons.
I don't think there are going to be many beyond unclassified, as they are just
chopped up little pieces of road just for local access to driveways and alleys.

That might be a good test - if you think it is tertiary, it probably is't a
frontage road, as these scream "local access" and nothing more.

> Could this be a useful guide?
>
> Lukas Sommer

Thanks for all the work.

Javbw