Am 03.11.2014 um 23:38 schrieb Mike Thompson:
> I am editing trails in a US National Park of which I have first hand
> knowledge.  Nearly all trails in this area have been tagged
> "highway=footway" although most of them are open equally to foot
> traffic and horse traffic. Any reason to leave them as "footways"? The
> wiki suggests that "path" is more appropriate. It would be nice to
> have consistent data, otherwise it suggests that one trail is
> different from the next when if fact they are not.

I stopped using foot-, cycle- or bridleway and only use path with some
access tags and surface. Width is another important tag.

I do not find any differences except for access between *way and path
and especially unpaved <> paved is not clear at all.

At least in Germany there is a difference between footway + bicyle=yes
(foot=designated), cycleway + foot=yes (bicycle designated) and path +
foot=designated + bicycle=designated.

So far I am not talking about foot/bicycle=official.

cu fly