On 11/28/14 2:26 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM, johnw <jo...@mac.com <mailto:jo...@mac.com>> wrote:

    That looks really good. Some graphic designers need to remake the
    shields for icon size (bigger lettering, details ignored), but the
system of putting on the roads looks great.

amItheOnlyOneHere.png that thinks, in the vast majority of cases, using the sign type you'd actually see on the highway is useful, particularly for unusual cases? For example, the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority shields are really that hard to read when you're on the highway, so it's good to know you're only expecting a symbol as something recognizable in either case. http://bl.ocks.org/ToeBee/raw/6119134/#16/36.0448/-95.7380

i'll argue also that it's a rendering choice, and different rendering
engine designers may choose differently. right now, what Phil did
is basically for demo purposes. there had been talk about maybe
deploying it on openstreetmap.us as a us centered version of
OSM, but that hasn't happened (and it's been a while).

what it demonstrates quite effectively is that we have all the tagging
we need for shields right now; we don't need a new tagging
proposal, just a lot of hard work building out the relations and
tagging them properly.

richard

--
rwe...@averillpark.net