> to me path implies wheelchair=no.
>>

> I don't know about that, path's generally the multimodal middle between
> footway (like a city sidewalk) and cycleway (which often implies foot=no;
> less commonly foot=yes, rarely foot=designated; I explicitly tag if it's
> unclear on footway, path, cycleway and motorway beyond the absolutely most
> broad assumptions;

+1, it is worth to note that "wheelchair" is not part of the access tags.
The other tags we are discussing in this thread are related to legal
access, while "wheelchair" is about suitability. This said I agree that
path does not have the implication of wheelchair no (as a dataconsumer who
makes use of OSM data for routing of people in wheelchairs you might still
assume that paths are not suitable for your users, but there is no such
implication on the data level, e.g. the presence of a tag "highway=path"
should not prevent you from adding wheelchair specific information).

>> if they are wide, well maintained, somewhat smooth and hard, and easily
>> passible, then they are footpaths.
>>
>> if it is a track for emergency access vehicles that is usually open for
>> hiking, horses, and bikes, then label it is a track instead, cars=emergency
>> or whatever that exact tag is
>>

> cars=* isn't a tag.  motor_vehicle would be...

"emergency" is not a value though, it is a category by use:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access

If you look at the definition, I'd actually read this as "it is not
necessary that there is an emergency, but it is necessary that the vehicle
is of an emergency vehicle class (like police cars, ambulances, etc.)." so
actually there might be a problem: e.g. "hov" and "hazmat" and "disabled"
are actually classes that are defined by use: access will not be forbidden
to any truck that can transport hazardous material, but only to those that
actually do right now. "emergency" by it's current definition doesn't fit
into this scheme, it should rather go under motor_vehicle -> double_tracked
-> emergency. What do you think?

cheers,
Martin