> On Feb 20, 2015, at 12:04 PM, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 20/02/2015 1:22 PM, johnw wrote:
>> I think he’s trying to say that “a storage amenity” is different from "a
>> parking amenity”, because it is not something you would seek out on the map
>> when looking for parking (even long term airport parking, i think) - but
>> rather something you’d seek out when looking for a storage facility for your
>> vehicle, where the vehicle spends most of it’s life parked, instead of
>> (illegally) in front of your house.
>
> But the proposal says it uses the same rendering as other amenity=parking ...

Sorry, I was an idiot, I was reading the comments but neglected the actual
proposal. You’re right.

However, to me, this is a service that assists you with storage of what happens
to be a vehicle (AKA a commercial service) so it either is a business or a
retail establishment service - not a parking amenity - it has very different
access expectations ( you can’t walk up to it, you can’t access it, you need to
arrange ahead of time to access it if it is a business).

A long term storage lot is parking for the storage business - which is totally
covered by parking + private - but I thought he was trying to define the
“Vehecle Storage business” - and I commented that it is also an amenity for
certain facilities and complexes.

The “service” of storing the Vehicle is a business beyond providing local
parking - and like a car mechanic or a car wash, services *to the car for the
owner* should be somehow reflected in a business sense - not through a
variation of the parking lot itself.

It’s hard to convey the difference between parking and storage, but it feels
like that difference belongs outside the parking tag.

> amenity=vehicle_storage?

That would be good for a private space provided in a larger facility to it’s
patrons (like a Planned community)- That would mean it can’t be
amenity=parking, right?

How would you define it as a business?

Most "money for services” - like a hair dresser are under the shop=• tag, Even
car repair - which is similarly a place you take your car and pay for a service
performed to it (which can be labor-only), so I thought making a new value for
shop=* would be a natural choice.

In summary:

Amenity=Vehicle_storage sounds great for when it is an amenity of a lager
facility
shop=vehicle_storage sounds great for a business that offers this service.

If you are looking for Vehicle storage services, a bunch of arrows popping up
on lots in planned communities and military bases that you can never use isn’t
very useful.

Javbw.