> thank you for these references. I have noticed that all of them reference
> the BauGB §126, which seems to confirm that this is the legal basis for the
> numbering

Are you kidding me? :-)

1. Neither http://www.rosenheim.de/uploads/media/631f.pdf nor
http://www.bad-doberan.de/uploads/media/Hausnummernsatzung.pdf reference to
BBauG. And there a lot of more.

2. Referencing to BBauG is meaningless, because every local law ("Satzung")
needs a "landesrechtliche" legislative
<http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/legislative.html> basis.

2. Your thesis has been, that you "not yet found any text that doesn't
state that the plot is the main unit for numbering reason". That hav been
the only reason for this list.

3. I have linked to an official
<http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/official.html> headnote
<http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/headnotes.html> (Leitsatz) which says
the obviousness <http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/obviousness.html> "The
right to grant of house numbers based on ... [community law]"

We can conclude that (in Germany) it depends only on local law.

We can conclude that there is no exception / general case plot/buildung

We can conclude, that "D.h., die Hausnummern beziehen sich in Deutschland
grundsätzlich auf Grundstücke"
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Karlsruhe_Schema#Rechtliche_Situation
lacks any legal meaning.