Hi Friedrich.

I can't say for whole World,
as for Russia we have plots of lands having addresses without buildings.

They are not always dedicated to be build up with something.
There is three ways, (maybe more, but i don't know for sure):

1. Large landuses as landuse=industrial may have their own address, like.

Springfield, Green Road, 123.
and every building inside this territory have their own address like:
Springfield, Green Road, 123, building 2.

(Keep in mind that we traditionally have different addresses parts order).

2,3. Rather small land lots with demolished  or not yet constructed buildings.
We can say that they are dedicated to be built up with something in future,
but they may appears empty for ages.

It's rather common situation for rural areas, when owner have purchased land
lot,
but haven't built capital house yet.
But these lots should have addresses for mail correspondence  and fees.