On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 4:03 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bry...@obviously.com> wrote:
> The core problem is:
> railway=abandoned
> Refers to railway service, and does not describe what's on the ground.
> What's on the ground could range from a bit of residual lead arsenate
> herbicide,
> up through a highly visible gravel trackbed with bridges and culverts and
> bits of railway artifact scattered about.

Is that the case?/ If so then I suggest that such objects be moved to
a more suitable home where they're less susceptible to deletion, such
as a database of historical objects. If there's nothing visible then
such objects are likely going to be deleted at some point by someone
who is walking/driving by and doesn't see the railroad.

I've had this issue myself in NYC where there's no tracks, because the
objects were mis-tagged as being on layer 0 rather than underground. I
deleted railroad tracks that I could not observe. Apparently the
tunnels still exist, so the issue was resolved, but I can imagine this
becoming a source of conflict.

I know that the railway community in OSM is very passionate. I'm
wondering if there's not a better way to get their mapping needs met.

- Serge